Can the Arbutus Greenway make us healthier and happier?
Vancouver’s Arbutus Greenway project is transforming a historic railway into a vibrant corridor for people to walk, cycle, roll, and connect. Will its development make the city a happier and healthier place to be? We’re uniting hundreds of Vancouverites to find out.
In spring 2018, INTERACT launched a five-year study to uncover how the development of Vancouver’s Arbutus Greenway is impacting physical activity, social participation, and well-being of nearby residents, and whether these impacts are felt equally across different socioeconomic groups. This study is led by INTERACT researchers at Simon Fraser University and the University of British Columbia, in collaboration with the City of Vancouver and scientists across Canada.
Recruitment and data collection to the first wave of INTERACT’s study in Vancouver is now closed. To stay informed about INTERACT’s research and opportunities to participate in future studies, join our mailing list.
What will I do?
As a participant you will be invited to:
- Complete two online surveys.
- Collect sensor and locational data through your mobile phone or other wearable device.
Data collection will take place three times over the next five years, once in the Spring 2018, then again in 2020 and 2022.
What are the benefits?
- Join a national community of scientists, urban planners, public health experts, and engaged citizens with a common interest in designing healthier cities for all.
- Contribute to innovative research that will help Vancouver and other cities make smart planning decisions to support population health for generations to come.
- Participate through the ease of your computer and mobile phone, or with devices we provide.
- A chance to win one of five $50 Visa gift cards!
The Arbutus Greenway is a continuous walking and cycling corridor that will connect four distinct Vancouver neighbourhoods. The 9 km rail corridor was purchased by the City of Vancouver for $55M in 2016. Temporary path construction is ongoing from spring 2017. The final design (based on extensive community consultation), will be presented to City Council in spring 2018, with final phased-construction to start in 2019.
Learn more about the Arbutus Greenway.
Please contact Caitlin Pugh (INTERACT Vancouver Project Coordinator) at 604-875-4111 ext. 21722 or email@example.com.